Centennial Celebration

Happy 100th birthday, St. John’s!

SJ100 LOGOIn 1916, a visionary group of faithful founders built a modest brick church in the heart of Oak Park, Illinois, on the corner of Marion Street and Ontario Street. Throughout the next century, the building served as a spiritual and religious home for several congregations, most notably from the original Evangelical United Brethren denomination. Still standing 100 years later, St. John’s United Methodist Church continues to keep the building alive.

We commemorated this momentous milestone during out Centennial Celebration, October 29 to October 30, 2016. The theme was “Retelling Our Story for God’s Glory: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow”.


  • What: Centennial Celebration
  • Where: St. John’s United Methodist Church, 1100 Ontario Street, Oak Park, Illinois, 60302
  • When: October 29 – 30, 2016
  • Why: To commemorate our building’s 100th birthday



Dinner banner

Saturday, October 29, 5 p.m.

Proceeds benefitted our building fund, which helps make St. John’s accessible to all people.

 Concert banner

Saturday, October 29, 7 p.m. — Free

We had a concert to celebrate our church building’s 100th birthday featuring: St. John’s Centennial Celebration Choir, a jazz ensemble from Wheaton College, and a reunion choir.

Service banner

Sunday, October 30, 11 a.m.

Our worship service on Sunday was a little more special than usual as we commemorated our Centennial. Rev. Preston Price served as guest preacher.

Fall fest banner

Sunday, October 30, 3 p.m. — Free

We capped off the celebration with fun festivities for our families. The little ones enjoyed autumn-themed activities including trunk-or-treat, apple bobbing, and pumpkin decorating.


At its founding, St. John’s was affiliated with the Evangelical Church. The gothic brick building, located on the corner of Ontario Street and Marion Street, was designed by H.G. Fiddelke and completed in 1916.

In the mid-20th century, the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist denominations merged and formed the United Methodist Church.

In 1985, a Filipino-American congregation merged with St. John’s to reshape the makeup of the church congregation.


General inquiries: Dial (708) 386 – 5882

Media inquiries:
Email Joash Mencias, Communications Coordinator